A serious incident on the M6 Northbound has resulted in the stretch of motorway being closed for seven hours today.
The incident occurred this morning (Sunday, August 20) and resulted in the M6 Northbound being closed since 8.20am. Much of the traffic has been stationary since then, effecting J26/M58 (Orrell Interchange) to J27 Standish.
Emergency services were reported to the scene after reports of a serious accident and as a result, traffic was diverted off the motorway via the M6 Northbound at J26/M58 roundabouts. Vehicles at the rear end of the queue were diverted away from the area and released from the traffic at around 11am.
- Live: M6 closed after serious accident as vehicles diverted off motorway
- Appeal for witnesses over A49 Chorley crash after cyclist left with serious injuries
Despite clearing the traffic at around midday today, the lanes were then closed again for accident investigation work to take place. As a result, motorists are being advised to check diversion routes if they are stuck in the congestion, or to plan alternative routes before setting off. There have been delays of around 45 minutes, with queues stretching back to Junction 25.
Traffic site Inrix has stated that any drivers must take a route via the M6 Northbound at J26/M58 roundabouts, taking the second exit off the first roundabout instead.
A full diversion route is:
Narrow junction, low railway bridge 12’0 (3.6m) and narrow canal bridge on route.
- Leave the M6 northbound at J26
- At M6 J26/M58 roundabouts, take the 2nd exit off the first roundabout and continue to second roundabout.
- At the second roundabout, take the 1st exit on to the northbound slip road leading to A577 Ormskirk Road.
- Follow the A577 (Ormskirk Road) until you reach the M6 J26/A577 junction.
- Turn left onto the A577 (Ormskirk Road) headed westbound.
- At the A577/B5206 junction, turn right onto the B5206 (Gathurst Road) headed northbound.
- At the B5206/A5209 junction, turn left onto A5209 (Crow Orchard Road) headed westbound.
- At the A5209/M6 J27 roundabout, take the 3rd exit and re-join the M6 northbound.
HGV road users are advised to follow the below diversion route.
- Leave the M6 at J26, and join the A577 headed eastbound (Ormskirk Road).
- At the A577,A49 junction, carry straight ahead on to the A49 (Wallgate) northbound and follow for approx. 5 miles.
- At the A49/A5029 junction, turn left on A5209 (School Lane) westbound and follow for approx. 1.2 miles.
- At the A5209/M6 J27 roundabout, rejoin the M6 northbound.
At the time of writing, the M6 Northbound remains closed due to the ongoing incident and there is congestion to J25. Merseyside Police are in attendance and are leading the scene, conducting an accident investigation into what happened.
LancsLive has contacted Merseyside Police for more information.
You can find this story in My Bookmarks.Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right.