The A66 is closed in both directions this afternoon (Saturday) after a serious crash involving multiple vehicles. The closure is in place between the A592 and the A591 near Keswick.
All emergency services are working at the scene, National Highways has reported. Cumbria Police are leading the response at this stage.
The incident was first reported on traffic monitoring site Inrix at 3.15pm and diversion routes are now in place. It’s unknown if there are any injuries.
Inrix said: “A66 in both directions closed, queueing traffic due to accident, two motorbikes involved from B5322 Station Road (Threlkeld) to The A5091 (Troutbeck).”
Follow our live blog below for all of the latest updates
- Pink fans trapped in car park again until the early hours after gig
- Appleby Horse Fair live updates as thousands descend for annual Traveller gathering
- Warning over toxic plant flowering this month that is harmful to humans and dogs
- Lancashire frackers Cuadrilla ‘hoping ban will be overturned’ says MP as site allowed to stay
- 20 shipping containers go up in flames as firefighters work through night to tackle huge blaze at business park
Road remains closed
The diversion routes are still in place.
‘Delays on the approaches’
Two motorbikes involved – Inrix
A66 in both directions closed, queueing traffic due to accident, two motorbikes involved from B5322 Station Road (Threlkeld) to The A5091 (Troutbeck).
Diversion route westbound
Road users are advised to follow the “Solid Circle” diversion symbol on road signs
- At the Rheged Roundabout with the A592 join the A66 eastbound towards the M6.
- Join the M6 northbound.
- Exit the M6 northbound at J41.
- At the roundabout take the first exit on to the B5305.
- Continue on the B5305 through Sebergham to the junction with the A595.
- Turn left and follow the A595 towards Keswick.
- At Bothel turn left on to the A591 towards Keswick.
- Re-join the A66 at the Crosthwaite Roundabout.
Diversion route eastbound
Road users are advised to follow the “Hollow Diamond” diversion symbol on road signs
- At the Crosthwaite Roundabout with the A591 take the exit for the A591 towards Bothel.
- At the junction with the A595 turn right towards Carlisle.
- Continue to the junction with the B5305 and turn right towards Penrith.
- Follow the B5305 through Sebergham to M6 J41. Join the M6 southbound.
- Exit at J40 of the M6 to re-join the A66.
- A66 closed in both directions
- Closure is between the A592 and the A591 near Keswick
- Multiple vehicle crash happened after 3pm
- All emergency services are working at the scene
- Cumbria police leading the response
- Diversion routes in place